Friday, February 23, 2007

Yahoo! Draft (10 team)

I took place in an online yahoo draft today. I missed the first few rounds, but had preranked so I ended up doing well. The only auto-pick I would take back was Carlos Delgado in the 6th round. I had him at 80th overall, but I would have done fine picking up Adam LaRoche in a much later round. Even though I didn't take any pitching I ended up with a solid staff. Other various comments are below. My approach was 'value-drafting', but I think all-in-all I did very very well. I expect 1st or 2nd with this roster.

rank:DP ---> projection vs. actual draft position

1. (3) Alfonso Soriano OF -all considered this is a can't miss first round pick
2. (18) Matt Holliday OF -great had him pegged as #8 overall -- 5 tool
3. (23) Carlos Lee OF -5 tool
4. (38) Garrett Atkins 3B
5. (43) Aramis Ramírez 3B
6. (58) Carlos Delgado 1B - would have preferred a starter here
7. (63) B.J. Ryan RP - last of my auto-picks, should have plenty of opps
8. (78) Jeremy Bonderman SP +20 rank: DP
9. (83) Julio Lugo 2B,3B,SS -versatile, good for 115 runs, 30 steals
10. (98) C.C. Sabathia SP
11. (103) Cole Hamels SP
12. (118) Howie Kendrick 1B,2B - had no 2B at this point (excluding
13. (123) Álex Ríos OF +50 rank:DP
14. (138) Rich Hill SP +70 rank:DP
15. (143) Michael Barrett C - 4th best catcher...15th round. nuff said.
16. (158) Salomón Torres RP - quietly slated to pick up 30 saves
17. (163) Octavio Dotel RP - closing in KC
18. (178) A.J. Burnett SP -outpitched peripherals last year...injury risk
19. (183) Freddy García SP -moved to the NL
20. (198) Joel Piñeiro SP,RP -slated to close for Boston...worth a pick here

Amazing depth and value out of my last five picks. Bush? 238th overall? He'll have a whip under 1.20 this year. Victorino -- great insurance policy on my outfield. Teahen -- some people have him ranked at 40th overall in 5x5 leagues. Gonzalez? I had to...too much value. And finally I took Meredith to eat some innings and provide low ERA/WHIP work.

21. (203) Shane Victorino OF
22. (218) Mark Teahen 3B
23. (223) Adrián González 1B
24. (238) Dave Bush SP
25. (243) Cla Meredith RP



Steals: I locked up steals with the first three solid picks. Lugo (28 sb) Rios (18 sb), Victorino (18) all chip in as well.
Average: no real drains here...well Sorinao and Delgado I see chilling at .270. Other than that I have a bunch of studs. Like Goose in Top Gun, expect with better OPS.


Starting rotation:

-Bonderman
-Sabathia
-Hamels
-Bush
-Hill
-Burnett
-Garcia

wow. Ks and all bonafide sub-4 ERAs.


I think my work is done here...

No comments: